- We helped to bring together politicians from all major parties in support of a change in the law by backing the formation of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Choice at the End of Life
- We’ve hosted political party conference fringe events at the Green, Liberal Democrat, Labour and Conservative conferences, with supporters joining our special guest panellists to debate the difference between assisted dying and assisted suicide
- We’ve held meetings with influential Parliamentarians including, new MPs, distinguished Peers and senior party members.
- New briefings clearly making the case for assisted dying through evidence have armed campaigners, journalists, Parliamentarians and other decision makers with the real facts about assisted dying
- Wide scale polling of the public and medical professionals has continued to improve our understanding of opinions of assisted dying
- We’ve responded to consultations, including a Ministry of Justice consultation on murder law and mercy killing and hundreds of you joined us in submitting evidence to the Commission on Assisted Dying.
More and more new campaigners:
- Thanks to your efforts, we’ve had over 5, 000 people log on to campaignfordignityindying.org since its launch in August. You’ve taken the campaign in numbers to friends, MPs and local papers – changing minds along the way
- Our list of patrons keeps on growing, now with 45 in total. This year alone we’ve been joined by: Chris Broad, Sir John Burgh, Kim Cattrall, Hugh Grant, Susan Hampshire, Kenan Malik, Dr Michael O’Donnell, Sir Patrick Stewart, and Professor Lewis Wolpert
- We’ve never been far from the headlines. Coverage has been in every national newspaper, as well as in national and regional TV and radio. You’ve put the case for assisted dying to the media as well as churches, universities, schools and debating societies.
This is just a small sample of everything we could not have achieved without your help this year. Again, thank you to everybody who has supported Dignity in Dying in 2011. We are edging ever closer to our goal – a law allowing the choice of an assisted death to terminally ill, mentally competent adults.
Please continue to help us, we can achieve even more in 2012, it’s going to be an important year…