For patients and carers
- A Guide to Your Rights at the End of Life (2011 edition)
- Factsheets – bite-size information on a range of topics:
- A Quick Guide to your rights
- Setting out your wishes in writing (Advance Decisions)
- Helpful questions for making an Advance Decision
- Making sure your Advance Decision is legally binding
- Talking to your doctor about your Advance Decision
- Updating your Advance Decision
- Living wills
- Summary Care Records
- Giving someone the power to make decisions for you (Lasting Powers of Attorney)
- Quiz – How well do you know my wishes?
- Setting out your wishes in writing in Scotland (Advance Directives)
- Giving someone the power to make decisions for you in Scotland (Welfare Powers of Attorney)
- Your rights at the end of life in Northern Ireland
For healthcare professionals
- Advance Decision toolkit for healthcare professionals
These factsheets are available to download or by contacting the End-of-Life Rights Information Line between 11am and 3pm, Monday to Friday. The Information Line is available free of charge by calling 0800 999 2434 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated Guide to Your Rights at the End of Life 2011
We’ve also updated our Guide to Your Rights at the End of Life. The new version not only covers what your current rights are at the end of life under the Mental Capacity Act, but also tells you what your choices are and what you can ask for following guidelines on end-of-life care from the Department of Health, the General Medical Council and the Royal Colleges of GPs and Nursing.
To learn more about your current rights at the end of life visit www.compassionindying.org.uk or contact the Information Line to access the updated Rights Guide.